The purpose of my blog is to document my experiences while taking Math for Elementary teachers 1510/1512. It is a reflection on what i learned and my opinions on teaching math.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Scary Math...NO MORE!!! Math 1510

                               
  Hello everyone and thanks so much for viewing my blog. My blog will be about my 2 month journey taking Math for Elementary Teachers 1. I will be posting my thoughts and opinions about the class week to week. So far I have had my eyes glued to the computer screen, trying to learn as many new ways as I can at teaching math to elementary students. Math to me was always a struggle in school, so I think I am invested in trying to get the most information I can out of this class. Believe it or not there is hope that math can be fun and learned by everyone!
  After getting the hang of where assignments are and what I am supposed to be working on, I have finally been able to focus on the course material. This week we were assigned to read an article titled “Understanding Place Value.” The article was very interesting as it discussed three kids experiences who worked with two different ancient number systems. The reason they worked with the ancient number systems, was to learn the importance of place value. Currently there are high numbers of students struggling with place value in elementary schools all over.  By having students learn a new number system, they are all starting on the same page regardless of their math abilities.
  As teachers this article impacts our day to day lessons, as we should be prepared to teach students multiple ways at learning math concepts. Some ways of getting an answer are easier to some people than others, so letting them use the method to solve the problem should be accepted. I think as teachers we also need to assume that there will always be students in our class that don’t have a background knowledge in what we’re teaching. Sometimes it is best to refresh with the basics. 
"Place Value" article
http://www.nctm.org/eresources/article_summary.asp?from=B&uri=TCM2011-05-558a 
Article in support of teaching more than one way to solve a problem
http://www.academicleadership.org/article/Effective_Ways_to_Teach_Mathematics 

No comments:

Post a Comment