The purpose of my blog is to document my experiences while taking Math for Elementary teachers 1510/1512. It is a reflection on what i learned and my opinions on teaching math.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hello fellow math bloggers everywhere!!! Math 1512

    Hello and thanks for taking the time to visit my page and read my blog. I will be adding a new blog every week with the current information I’m learning. I think this class will be a great help at giving me ideas on how to teach math to elementary students. Part of math in my opinion is knowing it, but another part is the delivery. Giving kids the stigma that what their learning is hard, will only affect there mood and have them develop a negative attitude towards new material.
   This week in class we were assigned to watch a video as part of our homework. The video does a great job about different ways of Analyzing data. As a student I loved graphs because they could tell you what you wanted to know in seconds. Having information clearly labeled and presented is crucial, especially when dealing with statistics.
   One graph that the video talked about that was new to me was the “Dot Plot” graph. I liked this graph because it is easy to make, its fast, and it’s efficient. The video showed how to make one using the letter grades that each student in a class earned. I definitely will suggest that students in my class use graphs to keep track of information.
Video of "Dot plot graph"
 http://www.mathxl.com/Student/MediaPopup.aspx?type=assignedmedia&assignmentId=26942613&loc=1&flush=yes&record=0&OnOpenerViewed=doMedia_onViewed&autoh=yes&centerwin=yes
You tube video on "Dot plot graphing" using a TI84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUJxrqpdUA  

No comments:

Post a Comment